Today you are going to learn how to reduce lag in Battlefield 3 for all three platforms (PC, PS3, Xbox 360) There are far more options for reducing lag on PC, namely because of the much bigger range of hardware and software configurations available. However, you can still cut down lag on console platforms too.
Reduce Battlefield 3 Lag for PS3 & Xbox 360
- Make sure your console firmware is updated to the latest version. This can be done easily from within the Xbox 360 and PS3 dashboards.
- Swtich to a hard wired connection if possible. Hard wired Internet beats wireless every time in terms of speed.
- If you are using wireless make sure your wireless router is set on the right channel, and also that the computer it connects through (if applicable) has up to date drivers.
- If you have fiddled around with the wireless or network settings on your console in the past try setting them to default again, then work around from there.
- The placement of your wireless router is hugely important; make sure there is a clear signal path free of interference points such as cordless phones and microwave ovens.
- Shut down all background applications that use Internet bandwidth. Especially important is turning off file sharing programs or software that constantly auto-updates. Background programs can hog a lot of system resources and Internet bandwidth and will result in poor gaming speed online.
- Update your network hardware drivers to the latest version.
- Patch Battlefield 3 to the latest version.
- Switch to a cabled connection from wireless if possible. This will always yield superior performance.
- If you are using wireless then use quality wireless components (both card and router)
- Ensure that there is a clear broadcast signal for your wireless connection free of interference.
- Use cable and not DSL Internet if possible.
- Pick servers located as close to your home as possible.