I see a lot of players who don't seem to use any form of cover when playing BF3. Running around the battlefield like a headless chicken is a great way to get killed (if you're into losing at video games) Here's a quick guide to using cover in Battlefield 3:
- When taking up position always crouch or go prone if you have limited cover. This will make you much harder to hit.
- Grass and trees etc provide concealment but not true cover- they won't stop bullets or rounds (especially with the physics/damage model in BF3)
- Take cover behind rocks, walls, buildings etc. then pop up and fire a few shots. Remember to move to a different location after you have made your presence known. This is especially important if you are taking cover behind something that could be destroyed reasonably easily.
- Don't crowd together in cover with your teammates as this will make you easy prey for explosives and grenades etc.
- Windows provide a good covered spot to open fire from, as do rooftops.
- Try and get cover that takes the high ground over your enemies.
- Read my comparison of the leading Battlefield 3 strategy guides to see which one will help you master cover in BF3 and win the game.